The PC Client is back!
You are here: Stellar Forces > New Features > The PC Client is back!
- I've been working in my secret underground bunker and have finally finished the first pre-alpha ultra-rough first-version of the PC client for Stellar Forces. It's basically the code from the Android app but with all the Android-specific stuff replaced.
If you try it, let me know how you get on!
- Thank you for the PC client.
Unfortunately I cannot login with the PC client. The login screen does not understand control keys. It takes shift, Alt-Gr, ctrl-v as a typed character and filters out tab and enter. There is no cursor. Right now it is impossible to type my email address in the login field.
Posted by Hokunda
6 years ago [Login to reply]
- Thanks for the feedback, that never occurred to me. (BTW, you can use your login name instead of your email address). I'll make the change and release a new version.
- This is really good news, i'll give the PC client a try this very week
- Thanks. Once I'm sure it's ready for public consumption, I'll be officially releasing it and post about it to as many relevant forums as I can find on the internet.
I'll just post this here since it's not mentioned in the PC game:-
N - Next unit
P - Prev Unit
S - Scanner
1-9 - Select unit
W - Move unit forwards
Q/E - Turn unit left or right
A/D - Strafe left/right
X - Move backwards
- I've just released a new version that addresses the problems so far, and has a few other improvements:-
- I've just released a new new version of the client. This one doesn't require you have Java or anything installed; it should work for anyone with Windows.
- Just downloaded and try to execute the .exe, got an error from Wine, "invalid exe format in %1", tomorrow ill try in somebody elses PC with Windows 6+1
- I'm guessing that's something to do with 32/64 bit, which I didn't foresee. The version I released is 64bit - was your computer 32 bit? I've no experience with Wine to know if that makes a difference. There's also the jar of course.
- That explains everything, my EEEPC is 64 bit but Wine emulates Win32 only.The .jar seems the way to go for me, shall keep you informed.
- Thanks. BTW, I've just created a 32-bit release which can be downloaded at https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B30cCb4AXBw0YVZWUnBlRmdNOUE .
- Okay, to avoid posting loads of links here, I've put the 32/64bit downloads online now, on GameJolt: http://gamejolt.com/games/stellarforces/248481
- The 32 bit version does not work with my setup either, but i found an interesting reading about running Android apps on linux using the Chrome browser: https://www.linux.com/learn/installing-android-apps-linux-archon
- Interesting enough, i couldn't download the zip file from Google Drive with Chrome on Linux, got "network errors" not present when downloading with Firefox.
- I've just tried the 32-bit version myself and it works fine. I'm guessing the problems you seem to be having are localised on your computer. :)
- I'm sure it works, Steve, but currently i do not own any Windows operating system licence and as i refuse piracy because it is evil i have no choice but running Linux. Android is OK, it is a nice Linux distribution, but it is very limited to protect the average user against the greatest danger of all in the digital world, himself, so it would be very interesting for me to find a way to run SF under a decent Linux, that way it would not be necessary for me to reboot the computer two times to make my SF moves. Please do not pay any attention to my issues, i just post all these comments just in case any other player who is also a Linux user could find them useful.
- I see, no problem. I'll keep the jar available as that works.
- I've just released a new version of the PC client. No big changes, but some bugfixes, UI improvements etc..
- Address is http://gamejolt.com/games/stellarforces/248481 for the download. Please let me know if it doesn't work on your system!
This topic has now been closed.